The characteristics of drilling that set it apart from other powered metal cutting operations are:
* The chips must exit out of the hole created by the cutting.
* Chip exit can cause problems when chips are large and/or continuous.
* The drill can wander upon entrance and for deep holes.
* For deep holes in large workpieces, coolant may need to be delivered through the drill shaft to the cutting front.
* Of the powered metal cutting processes, drilling on a drill press is the most likely to be performed by someone who is not a machinist.